What Does Modification Mean In a Divorce?

If you have questions about your divorce orders or need modifications, contact a Pinellas Family Lawyer to request a free law consultation.

Even though your divorce is final, certain situations might allow you to change or adjust aspects of your divorce decree. For instance, if you experience a life-changing event, it may be necessary to request a modification.

If you want to modify a divorce decree in Florida, you will be required to show that there has been a significant change in your situation since your original order was entered. Florida law stipulates that this has to be a permanent and material change that was not anticipated at the time of your divorce.

How to Get a Divorce Modification in Florida

Whether dealing with child custody, child support, or alimony, there are two ways to modify a divorce decree in Florida. You can reach a mutual agreement with the other party before you file your request or file a petition for modification.

The preferable way to handle a modification is for both parties to agree to the new terms. This might take time and negotiation, but it is worth the alternative. If you disagree, your lawyer must file a petition for modification, similar to a lawsuit.

Requirements for Requesting a Modification of Divorce

To request a modification of divorce orders, you must prove that there has been a substantial change in your circumstances. You’ll also have to prove that this change will be permanent and wasn’t anticipated at the time of your divorce.

A judge may modify the terms of your custody, visitation, child support, or alimony based on the following requirements:

  • A substantial change in your income or inability to make payments
  • One parent needs to move a considerable distance from the other
  • Unavoidable increase in healthcare coverage or additional costs
  • Remarriage of a spouse that is receiving maintenance

Florida courts will not grant every request for modification. You will have a considerably greater chance of success with your request if you can prove that you have entirely held up your end of the agreement since the beginning of your divorce.

Contact a Pinellas Family Lawyer

We are experienced divorce and family law attorneys. If you need to modify your divorce decree or oppose any changes, we can provide you with sound legal advice and will protect the interests of you and your family.

Leave a Comment